Lectio Divina: A Prayerful Reading of Scripture...
Lectio Divina is the ancient Christian practice of spiritual reading is a way of allowing the mind to descend into the heart, so that both mind and heart are drawn into the love and goodness of God.
The 4 Stages of Prayerful Reading:
1. Read a passage. Read with a listening spirit.
- Listen for the voice of Christ the Word.
- What words, phrases or images stand out?
- Hear and silently repeat a word or phrase.
2. Read the passage again. Meditate - reflect on what we are hearing.
- Meditate on these words, phrases or images.
- How Christ the Word speaks to me.
3. Read the passage a third time. Pray- praying in response to God’s voice.
- Pray about these words, phrases or images.
- Christ the word empowers my praying through the Spirit.
4. Read the passage a fourth time. What we will carry forward into our lives?
- What is God asking me to change?
- What Christ the Word invites me to do.
We can also refer to these 4 basic stages as:
- Read - Listen
- Read - Reflect
- Read - Pray
- Read - Obey
When these elements are combined, they lead the human spirit into a dynamic interaction with the Holy Spirit.